The Vaganova Ballet Academy is reviving the International Ballet Competition Vaganova-PRIX 2016.
The Vaganova Ballet Academy supported by the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation is reviving the International Ballet Competition Vaganova-PRIX for students of choreographic schools, colleges and academies. This year, the seventh edition of the Competition will be held in St. Petersburg on October 23– 29.
President of the Jury
- Irina Alexandrovna Kolpakova – People’s Artist of the USSR, Hero of Socialist Labour, State Prize of the USSR Laureate
- Zhanna Ayupova (St. Petersburg, Russia). People’s Artist of Russia, First Vice-Rector of Vaganova Ballet Academy.
- Amanda Bennett (Switzerland). Principal Dancer Basler Ballett, Artistic Director of the Prix de Lausanne since 2012. The director of the Ballettschule Theater Basel and teacher for Ballett Basel since 2001.
- Dinna Bjorn (Denmark). As ballerina showed a special feeling and talent for the Bournonville style, and has danced almost all of the major roles and dance parts in the Bournonville repertoire of the Royal Danish Theatre, Nowadays – choreographer of the Bournonville ballets in International ballet companies.
- Valentina Kozlova (The USA). As ballerina was starring in Bolshoi Theatre, Moscow and, later joined the New York City Ballet. Artistic Director and Chairman of VKIBC (Valentina Kozlova International Ballet Competition) Board of Directors.
- Hyun-woong Kim (South Korea ). The best renowned principal dancer in Korea National Ballet for ten years. He is a faculty member of K-Arts since 2016. Hyun-woong Kim was in class of Professor Gennady Selutsky when he was trainee at Vaganova Ballet Academy.
- Marina Leonova (Moscow, Russia). People’s Artist of Russia, Rector of Moscow State Academy of Choreography.
- Yukari Saito (Japan). Artistic Director of the Tokyo Ballet. The Juror of the “Arabesque” Ballet Competition since 2004.
The jury of the competition approved by the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation will individually evaluate each participant on the basis of two rounds using a 25-point assessment score. The winners will get cash prizes and other awards including those provided for by the Vaganova Ballet Academy: a ten-month VBA training and a Prize for the Best partner.
The Vaganova-PRIX was founded by the Vaganova Ballet Academy in 1988. In 1995, the competition acquired its international status. The prize winners of the Vaganova-PRIX Competition include Ulyana Lopatkina (1990), Adrian Fadeev, Svetlana Zakharova, Igor Kolb (1995), Polina Semionova, Mikhail Lobukhin, Ekaterina Krysanova, Vladimir Shklyarov (2002), Vadim Muntagirov (2006) etc.