Ballet-féerie by Vasily Medvedev and Yuri Burlaka after Lev Ivanov – Music by Peter I. Tchaikovsky.
Premiere on 23rd October 2013 in the Deutschen Oper Berlin.
At long last, the Staatsballett Berlin is once more dancing THE NUTCRACKER, one of the most popular ballets ever. Vasily Medvedev and Yuri Burlaka, two Russian choreographers and connoisseurs of the tradition, have developed a version for the Staatsballett Berlin which is based on the historic stage designs and choreography from the original of 1892. The stage designs and costumes have been modelled on the historic designs, part of the treasures of the Russian ballet archives. The choreography, which was created for Lev Ivanov’s inaugural performance, is largely based on his specifications – after all, it was he who gave this ballet his unmistakable style of dancing and whose art continues to be stylistically influential even to this day.
In combination with the brilliance of modern dance, this production – a loving reconstruction designed as a great ballet féerie – reveals all of its nostalgic charm and promises the wonderful anticipation of Christmas: it’s as if Peter I. Tchaikovsky had composed the falling of snowflakes or the fragrance of Christmas spices – a piece of musical genius.
The Nutcracker the Staatsballett Berlin
- Choreography: Vasily Medvedev
- Yuri Burlaka
- Stage design based on historical designs: Andrei Voytenko
- Costumes based on historical designs: Tatiana Noginova
- Choreographic assistance: Stanislav Feco
- Conductor: Robert Reimer / Anton Grishanin / Robert Reimer / Anton Grishanin
- Orchestra: Orchester der Deutschen Oper Berlin
- Choir: Kinderchor der Komischen Oper Berlin
2:30 h | 1 intermission