Inaugural season of BOSTON INTERNATIONAL BALLET COMPETITION
Founder/Director: Valentina Kozlova
Exceptional dancers, ages 13 to 25, from 23 countries around the world, will "go for the gold" before a panel of internationally renowned dance figures in the first Boston International Ballet Competition (BIBC), May 12-16 at John Hancock Hall, Boston, Ma. Awards include cash prizes and scholarships to ballet schools and companies in the U.S. and abroad.
- Round I: May 12 at 3 PM
- Round II: May 13 at 3 PM
- no performance May 14th
- Round III: May 15 at 3 PM
- Awards Ceremony/Gala Performance May 16
- Awards Ceremony at 6 PM; Gala Performance at 7:30 PM
John Hancock Hall, 180 Berkeley Street, Boston, MA
Reservations: 877-238-5596 or www.smarttix.com
The Rounds will be held May 12, 13 & 15 at 3 PM, culminating in the Awards Ceremony and Gala Performance Monday May 16 at 6 PM. Scheduled to appear in the Gala Maria Kowroski and Charles Askegard of New York City Ballet, and Whitney Jensen of the Boston Ballet, with more to be announced.
BIBC was founded by Valentina Kozlova, former principal dancer with the Bolshoi Ballet and New York City Ballet, now a prominent coach and teacher in NYC and around the world. Kozlova brings to her new venture years of experience as a celebrated performing artst, teacher of the Vaganova method, coach and judge at other Competitions, and a supporter of the Competition experience.
Dancers enter as couples, and are judged individually. They have chosen their dances from a list supplied by BIBC that includes excerpts from classical ballets, including Giselle, Don Quixote, Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, and others. In addition, they will be prepared with two mandatory solos which they have learned, through the website: Margo Sappington, former principal dancer with the Joffrey Ballet, has created a solo for the women, and Edwaard Liang, formerly with New York City Ballet, has provided a solo for the men.
Judges for this inaugural year are:
- Mikko Nissinen (Finland), President of the Jury; Artistic Director of Boston Ballet
- Violette Verdy (France), world renowned ballerina, former Artistic Director of the Paris Opera Ballet
- Hae Shik Kim (South Korea), founding Dean of the Korean National University of Arts, School of Dance
- Andris Liepa (Russia), former principal dancer and/or guest with the Bolshoi Ballet,
- Kirov Ballet, American Ballet Theatre, and New York City Ballet
- Oleksi Bessmertni (Germany), Founder/Director of International Dance Festival TanzOlymp
- Maria Luisa Noronha (Brazil), co-founder of Ballet do Rio de Janiero
- Septime Webre (U.S.A.), Artistic Director of Washington Ballet
BOSTON INTERNATIONAL BALLET COMPETITION
© 2005 – 2011 Danza Ballet