Ilya Demutsky, “Nureyev” Ballet in two acts
Will be premiered on December 9, 2017. Historic Stage.
- Composer: Ilya Demutsky
- Choreographer: Yuri Possokhov
- Libretto by Kirill Serebrennikov
- Director and Designer: Kirill Serebrennikov
- Costume Designer: Elena Zaitseva
- Music Director: Anton Grishanin
- Lighting Designer: Alexander Sivaev
- Video Designer: Sergei Rylko
- Assistant Choreographers: Quinn Wharton, Nikita Dmitrievsky
After Rudolf Nureyev’s death his property is being auctioned in New York and Paris. Each of the items on display contains a part of the great dancer’s life.
Nureyev’s studying at the Vaganova Ballet School in Leningrad, his graduation concert, his early career at the Kirov Theatre. Nureyev’s success goes hand in hand with constant denunciations, both at home and during tours abroad.
A Leap to Freedom
Paris. After his legendary ‘leap to freedom’ Nureyev is left alone. His childhood memories entwine with the uncertainty that awaits him.
Nureyev meets the Parisians and tries to imitate their behaviour – to move like free people do.
He is fascinated by the dances of men in drag in the Bois de Boulogne.
A Letter to Rudi. The pupil
Nureyev’s pupils and colleagues – Charles Jude, Manuel Legris, Laurent Hilaire – remember him as an artist, as their friend, as an important part of their lives and the entire human history.
The Portrait. Rudimania
Nureyev’s photo session with the famous Richard Avedon in the latter’s studio. Avedon gets the dancer to behave as natural as possible.
Nureyev is admired by all and stalked by paparazzi. The high society is enraptured by his provocative behavior.
Dance and mutual passion unite Nureyev and Erik.
Worldwide triumph. Partners change, roles change, music changes – only the great and inimitable Nureyev stays the same.
He isn’t going to let anyone take his place.
A Letter to Rudi. The diva
The great ballerinas, Nureyev’s partners – Alla Osipenko and Natalia Makarova – address him through time and eternity that lie between them.
Le Roi Soleil
Nureyev reigns like the Sun King, enjoying the exquisite singing and sensual paintings.
Beneath the gorgeous outfit of the Sun King there is a lonely Pierrot devoured by disease.
Nureyev is not only a dancer and a choreographer: he becomes a conductor too.
He stages La Bayadère, his last production. But he is surrounded not only by the legendary Shadows.
The music stops. Nureyev keeps conducting the silence.
9 December 2017 “Nureyev”
- Nureyev , Vladislav Lantratov
- Auctioneer/Avedon/The Grey Man, Igor Vernik
- A Letter to Rudi. The Pupil, Vyacheslav Lopatin
- A Letter to Rudi. The Diva, Svetlana Zakharova
- The Ballerina, Anastasia Stashkevich
- Erik, Denis Savin
- Margot, Maria Alexandrova
- Mezzo-soprano/ The Porter/ The King, Svetlana Shilova
- Tenor/ The Intendant, Marat Gali
- Countertenor, the singer of the king, Vadim Volkov
- Ballet Teacher, Victor Barykin
- Students of the Vaganova School