Young ballet dancers, aged 17-24, will be in New York from June 2 to 25 for New York's own New York International Ballet Competition (NYIBC). The 2-week preparation period will begin Monday June 4th, and the public Competition will take place at the Rose Theater, 60th Street & Broadway, June 20-23. The announcement of the winners and gala performance is June 24th.
The Competition is a great challenge for the young dancers and a career boost for many. In addition to the enthusiastic audiences, they will be seen by ballet company directors and a panel of renowned judges from around the world, chaired by great American dancer Edward Villella, currently director of Miami City Ballet.
Countries represented this year are:
Brazil – Korea – Canada – Lithuania – China – Paraguay – Chinese Taipei – Philippines – Costa Rica – Russia – Cuba – Ukraine – Dominican Republic – U.S.A. – Finland Uzbekistan – Japan – Venezuela from
- from Brazil: Diego Braga and partner Mariana Lenzi Both study at the Margareth Monteiro Dance School.
- Brazil/Japan: Paulo Arrais was born in Brazil and is currently dancing with the Norwegian National Ballet. His partner is Miharu Maki of Japan, also a member of the Norwegian National Ballet.
- Brazil/Venezuela: Ricardo Graziano of Brazil, currently dancing with the Tulsa Ballet. His partner is Karina Gonzalez of Venezuela, also with the Tulsa Ballet.
- Canada/USA: Canadian James Clark, currently studying at the National Ballet School of Canada. His partner is Sabrina Delafield of the USA, at the same school.
- China: Wu Husheng and partner Wang Ya'nan, both members of the Shanghai Ballet.
- China/Korea: Chao Shi of China and partner Seo Yeon Yu of Korea, both dancers with the Dutch National Ballet.
- Chinese Taipai/Japan: Shih-Huai Liang of Chinese Taipei, currently dancing with Columbia Classical Ballet. His partner is Hinako Sakuraoka of Japan, a student at the Kirov Academy of Ballet in the U.S.
- Cuba/Dominican Republic: Danny Lopez of Cuba and partner Vanessa Contin of the Dominican Republic, both students at Ballet Clasico Alina Abreu.
- Cuba/USA: Rodrigo Gonzales of Cuba, who studied at the National Ballet School of Canada. Partner is Grace – Anne Powers of the USA, who trained at The Art of Classical Ballet.
- Japan/USA: Mugen Kazama was born in Japan; his partner Kiri Chapman is from the USA, and both are members of the Tulsa Ballet.
- Korea: Jung Young Jae and partner Kim Na Eun are both from Korea and study at The Korean National U. of Arts.
- Korea: Young-Do Lee and partner Seung-Won Shin were born in Korea and are students at The Korean NationalUniversity of Arts.
- Korea: Kwi Sub Park and partner Eun Ji Ha are from Korea and both study at The Korean National U. of Arts.
- Lithuania/Finland: Evaldas Bielinis of Lithuania and partner Elina Miettinen of Russia are both dancers with TheFinnish National Ballet.
- Paraguay/Argentina: Marcelo Martinez of Paraguay, currently dancing with The Washington Ballet; his partner is Tatiana Mersan of Argentina, a student at the Joffrey School, NYC.
- Philippines: Jean Marc Cordero and partner Candace Adeo were both born in the Philippines. He is a student at the Culgural Center of the Philippines Dance School; Adeo dances with Ballet Philippines.
- Russia/Japan: Artyom Maksokov of Russia currently dances with Estonia National Opera Ballet; his partner Momoko Sasada of Japan studies at the Joffrey Ballet School, NYC.
- Russia/Korea: Denis Kupriyanov of Russia and partner Tae Kyoung Um of Korea are both students at the Vaganova Ballet Academy in St. Petersburg, Russia.
- Ukraine/Uzbekistan: Volodmyr Bannikov of the Ukraine dances with the Ukrainian Opera and Ballet Theatre; partner Sanija Abilmajneva of Uzbekistan studies at The Art College in Krasnogorsk.
- USA/Canada: Jacob Garrett of the USA and partner Crystal Hartford of Canada both currently dance with Colorado Ballet Studio Company.
- USA/Costa Rica: Chris Mackenthun of the USA graduated from Point Park U; partner Margarita Peralta of Costa Rica dances with La Escuelo de Ballet Clásico Ruso.
- USA: Gerald Doble of USA is a member of ABT Studio Co,; partner Abigail Simon of the USA is a member of the Joffrey Ballet.
- USA: Ryan Timothy Nye and partner Shelby Dyer are bot from the USA. He dances with Ballet Idaho/Eugene Ballet; she is with the Colorado Ballet.
- USA: Sean Omandam and partner Alyssa Velasquez, both from the USA, are members of the Colorado Ballet.