Milton Keynes Theatre. 17 Oct 2013 – 15 Feb 2014
Le Corsaire (The Pirate) is a thrilling ballet about Conrad, a dashing pirate, and his love for Medora, a beautiful harem girl. It is a swashbuckling drama of captive maidens, rich sultans, kidnap and rescue, disguise and conspiracy, love and betrayal, culminating in a shipwreck which is one of the most breathtaking spectacles in ballet.
English National Ballet is the first UK Company to perform the complete work which showcases some of the most bravura male dancing in the ballet repertoire.
Hollywood film designer Bob Ringwood (Batman, Alien 3, Star Trek Nemesis, Ai and Troy) has created new sets and costumes for this ripping period piece, an adventure story which promises unmissable entertainment and great dancing.
Le Corsaire by English National Ballet
- 17 Oct 2013 – 15 Feb 2014
- Staged by Anna-Marie Holmes after Marius Petipa and Konstantin Sergeyev
- Music by Adolphe Adam, Cesare Pugni, Leo Delibes, Riccardo Drigo, Prince Pyotr van Oldenburg, Ludwig Minkus, Yuly Gerber, Baron Boris Fitinhof-Schnell and Albert Zabel
- Edited by Lars Payne and Gavin Sutherland
- Libretto by Jules-Henri de Saint-Georges and Joseph Mazilier in a version by Anna-Marie Holmes
- Based on The Corsair (1814) by Lord Byron
- Sets and Costumes by Bob Ringwood
- Lighting by Neil Austin