Released on DVD and Blu-Ray, Mariinsky Labe: George Balanchine Jewels : Emeralds, Rubies, Diamonds.
Ballet in three parts, music by Faure, Stravinsky, Tchaikovsky.
Mariinsky Ballet and Orchestra – Conductor: Tugan Sokhiev.
Artistic Director: Valery Gergiev.
A couple of new releases appeared on the Mariinsky Label, our own record label, earlier this month. For the first time these recordings came out in DVD and Blu-Ray formats (ten previous recordings released on the Mariinsky Label were all in the SACD format). The advent of new recording formats greatly expands the label’s avenues, because it gives an opportunity to capture not only audio but also video stuff, and allows to produce recordings o full-length ballet and opera performances from the Mariinsky Theatre.
George Balanchine’s masterpiece Jewels (*) reflects influences of three major ballet schools: the French, the American and the Russian, showing the charm, grandeur and beauty of dance. The recording, which was made in April 2006, features such well-known ballet dancers as: Zhanna Ayupova, Ulyana Lopatkina, Igor Zelensky, Andrian Fadeyev, et.al.
* — Jewels will be performed at the Mariinsky Theatre on November 17th.
Ballet, Mariinsky Ballet Theatre
- George Balanchine Jewels : Emeralds, Rubies, Diamonds.
- Ballet in three parts, music by Faure, Stravinsky, Tchaikovsky
- Mariinsky Ballet and Orchestra – Conductor: Tugan Sokhiev
- Artistic Director: Valery Gergiev
Recorded at the Mariinsky Theatre (St Petersburg), on 4, 5 & 7 April 2006
Released on the Mariinsky Label, on 21 September 2011
- George Balanchine choreographer
- Valery Gergiev artistic director
- Ulyana Lopatkina, Igor Zelensky, Irina Golub
- Andrian Fadeyev, Zhanna Ayupova
- Mariinsky Ballet & Orchestra
Mariinsky Ballet Theatre – George Balanchine Jewels : Emeralds, Rubies, Diamonds.
© 2011 Danza Ballet