NEWS FROM VALENTINA KOZLOVA INTERNATIONAL BALLET COMPETITION
JUNE 27-30 in NEW YORK CITY
The Valentina Kozlova International Ballet Competition (formerly Boston International Ballet Competition) continues preparations for the next event, to be held in New York City’s La Guardia High School (the home of «Fame» fame), in the Lincoln Center area of Amsterdam & 65th Street, June 27-30, 2013.
For its third annual event, VKIBC announces its panel of judges:
- Andris Liepa (Russia), President of the Jury, People’s Artist of Russia, former principal dancer with the Bolshoi and Kirov Ballet, and guest with ABT and NYCB.
- Olga Guardia de Smoak (Panama), President of the New Orleans International Ballet Conference, Artistic Advisor to the Ministry of Culture of Panama
- Deborah Hess (Canada), Coordinator of student exchanges for National Ballet School of Canada
- Hae Shik Kim (South Korea), former principal dancer/artistic director of Korean National Ballet
- Tadeusz Matacz (Germany), Artistic Director of John Cranko School in Stuttgart
- Galina Panova-Ragozina (Israel), Associate Professor at East Carolina’s School of Theater and Dance
- Serguei Soloviev (France), teacher at Conservatoire National Superieur de Musique et de Danse in Paris
- Bo Spassoff (USA), Director, Rock School, Pa.
- Septime Webre (USA), Artistic Director, Washington Ballet
- Stanton Welch (Australia), Director, Houston Ballet
As in past years, the Competition is divided into three divisions:
- Student 13-14 years old
- Junior, 15 to 17
- Senior 18 to 25.
Participants select their dances from a list provided by VKIBC, which includes solos from Sleeping Beauty, La Bayadere, Giselle, and other classics. They are also required to learn, via computer, one of the following:
- Compulsory Contemporary Female Solo, created this year by Jacqulyn Buglisi
- Compulsory Contemporary Male Solo, created by Viktor Kabaniaev
- Compulsory Duet, created by Paulo Arrais.
Members of the Artistic Board:
- Violette Verdy, Honorary President, former Principal Dancer with NYCB, former Artistic Director of the Paris Opera Ballet and Boston Ballet, Distinguished Professsor of Ballet at Indiana University’s Jacobs School of Music
- Charles Askegard, former Principal Dancer, New York City Ballet; co-founder of Ballet Next
- Patricia Aulestia, President of Mexican Federation of Dance Professionals
- Maxim Beloserkovsky, Principal Dancer, American Ballet Theatre
- Irina Dvorovenko, Principal Dancer, American Ballet Theatre
- Yuresha Jelko, International Ballet Star
- Cyril Lafaurie, former Director, Paris International Ballet Competition
- Marek Rozycki, dancer, choreographer, teacher
- Martine van Hamel, former Principal Dancer, American Ballet Theatre
Valentina Kozlova, Artistic Director
Carlo Montali, Executive Director
©2013 Danza Ballet