Isadora Duncan International Institute in France
We invite you to journey to a world of earthy and exotic natural beauty where the rare combination of ancient Roman-Gallic and early-Modern energies will permeate our visits.
We shall enter a landscape with the French Alps as backdrop: from sheer cliffs and rock faces; to fields, meadows and deltas; with spires of cypress and silvery olive, wild horses and flamingos; amidst amphitheaters and aqueducts, Medieval towns and towers, castles and fortresses, Gothic cathedrals and latter-day palaces of the rich and famous – all reaching to the Mediterranean Sea.
We shall breathe the air of much of the early Moderns’ momentum at the sacred sites and homes, studios and museums of figures abreast Isadora in the revolution of expression at the dawn and development of the 20th century. Inspiratrix to its essence, Isadora was dubbed ‘Muse of Modernism’, not simply as “the tenth Muse, but all nine Muses in one.”
Itinerary Highlights Include:
- Opening exhibition and dinner festivities at, La Cabro d’Or, under the majestic craggy rock face of Les Beaux-de-Provence, one of the most beautiful villages in all of France.
- Terroir tour and tasting at 7th generation, Mas de Cadenet, famed for its Michelin reputed rosé and red vins de Provence at the base of Cezanne’s beloved Mont Saint-Victoire, where we shall move through the artist’s inner and outer realms of inspiration.
- Travel via land and water in communion with the wild, white horses and the pink flamingos of the River Rhone’s, Camargue.
- Revelation on the ancient Greek and Roman influence in Avignon and Nîmes within sites of colossal wonder and majesty
- Mystical visions made manifest at the miracle site of Église des Trois Stes-Maries overlooking the Mediterranean Sea
- A thematic Déjeunersur l’herbe in the manner of ‘Impressionist Picnics’
- Inaugural dinner at Côte d’Azur’s, La Colombe d’Or, to launch the European Certificate Program in Isadora Duncan Studies at the historic site of artistic and gastronomic convivium for Isadora, Picasso, Chagall and literary intelligentsia.
- The experience of Marc Chagall’s, Biblical Message, in the whimsy and might of his imagination at the museum devoted to his modern testament to the spirit and the flesh Entry to the enchanted opulence of Saint-Jean Cap de Ferrat’s Gilded Age creation, Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild, and its fantastical, Jardin de l’Amour.
- Scent intoxication amidst fields and parfumeries at the hill-top town of Grasse with a visit to the home of native son and artist, Jean-Honoré Fragonard, known for the ebullience and joie de vivre of his Rococo genre painting.
- A welcome to the inner sanctum of Chapelle du Rosaire, where Matisse spent his last years and created a living memorial of tenderness and thanksgiving in purest color and light.
- A Belle Époque High Tea at Isadora’s Nice favorite, the legendary Hotel Negresco.
- Closing dinner at the transportive, seaside restaurant en l’air where Isadora and Paris Singer often docked for the famed Bouillabaisse.
Isadora Duncan International Institute in France.
Full trip cost includes 9 nights lodging, all breakfasts, guidance throughout, all local group transportation for scheduled tour highlights, five festive group food experiences, group admission to all museums and scheduled itinerary excursions, and the complete Inaugural Certificate Program studio immersion with Jeanne Bresciani and Barbara Kane. Based on double occupancy, single supplement at extra cost. Airfare not included. Itinerary and fees subject to change. Full Trip Cost: $3,300.
The Inaugural Seminar of the Certificate Program in Isadora Duncan Studies I: The European Training Isadora Duncan: The Muse of Modernism with Jeanne Bresciani, Ph.D. and Guest Master Teacher, Barbara Kane May 24th through 28th, 2016, Culminating in a Festive Performance Evening and ‘Isadora Birthday Celebration’ Cost: $500 for Certificate Candidates/$600 for Non-Certificate Participants Includes only seminar fees. There are no reductions for partial attendance. Program may be elected separately from full tour.
Isadora Duncan International Institute in France www.idii.org